April 15, 2015

Snackeez Duo

Description: A recyclable version of Snackeez
Main Pitch: "The all-in-one, go anywhere snacking solution"
Main Offer: $9.99 for a set (10 multi-color cups, 10 bowls w/ lids, 10 straws)
Bonus: None
Marketer: IdeaVillage
Watch the spot

I admit the success of Snackeez last year surprised me. In my defense, it was positioned toward adults when I first reviewed it. The shift to a kid focus was the secret of its success, putting it in the same genre as the 2011 hit Gyro Bowl. Telebrands' Wow Cup in 2014 (another surprise hit) became the third hit and satisfied my 'three is a category' rule.

Shifting focus to this project, it's a classic Ouroborus play: Eat your own tail before someone else does. IdeaVillage pioneered and perfected this strategy with Finishing Touch, which has had five or six 'new and improved' versions since it first launched in 2003. My only reservation here is that this sort of kit seems more appropriate for in-line at the grocery store than in the fast-turning ASOTV end cap. I can see picking it up for a BBQ along with my plastic plates and forks.

S7 Analysis: If not for DR history, my gut would question whether this was needed enough to break through. As for the target, it's a segment of a segment to be sure -- but obviously a strong enough segment to sustain a campaign.