October 31, 2013

Weekly Round-Up


Telebrands' Rocket Saw

  1. Rocket Saw. Starring: Beau Rials. Marketer: Telebrands. Pitch: "Cuts metal, wood, rubber or plastic with the precision and speed you need to get the job done." Comments: I'm too close to this one to do a full review, which is probably why my opinion is as follows: Awesome all around! If this one doesn't go, I'm going to add tools to my list of bad categories. [ss]
  2.  
  3. Cera Temp. Pitch: "The pan that changes color to tell you when it's hot." Comments: Good visual demo, but the site is no longer live. I think DR buyers have probably had enough of pans for a while. (Spot is here.) [ss]
  4.  
  5. Finishing Touch Elite. Starring: Patricia (Murphy) Stark. Marketer: IdeaVillage. Pitch: "Erases unwanted hair instantly and painlessly." Comments: Lather. Rinse. Repeat. But 11 years and still going ... [ss]
  6.  
  7. Infinity Lights. Pitch: "Create one of a kind light art." Comments: This one strikes me as a total gamble and a good test of the limits of uniqueness as a product criterion. [ss]
  8.  
  9. Perfect Ribs. Starring: Marc Gill. Marketer: Allstar. Pitch: "The most amazing, succulent-tasting [sic] ribs every time." Comments: Good spot, but another 'fast fail.' Made me hungry! (Spot is here). [ss]
  10.  
  11. Rockin' Knot. Pitch: "Creates perfectly shaped [top] knots every time." Comments: No doubt thanks to the success of Hot Buns and Hot Huez, I'm seeing more hair products these days. Perhaps DR marketers are starting to believe the odds have improved and are now better than 1 in 50 ... but I remain skeptical. [ss]
  12.  
  13. Spin Blox. Pitch: "Interlocking blocks and gears that spin and turn into live-action fun." Comments: Neat product that seems to meet the criteria (as far as I understand them). [ss]
  14.  
  15. Style Screamer. Starring: Megan Gunning. Marketer: Telebrands. Pitch: Emits a "unique, ear-piercing woman's scream of 130 decibels." Comments: A bizarre prevention product and an understandable 'fast fail.' I did enjoy Ms. Gunning's facial expressions, though. She does a great job! (Spot is here). [ss]