February 14, 2013

Remark-A-Bulb

Description: A self-powered light bulb
Main Pitch: "The light that goes on when the power goes off"
Main Offer: $12.99 for one
Bonus: 2nd one (just pay a separate fee)
Marketer: Telebrands
Website: www.RemarkABulb.com
Prediction: On the fence

Speaking of syllogisms ...

The attempts at finding the next hit emergency light won't be limited to this company, either. I expect to be writing about emergency lights for the next year at least. The allure is often more intense at companies that don't know the inside story of the hit that started the trouble (which is the Olde Brooklyn Lantern in this case). All kinds of myths and theories arise to explain why the unexpected occurred. It's a major trap, and a big reason I continue to preach: One is an outlier, three is a category.

Of course, I'm a hypocrite. I tried an emergency light both before and after 'OBL' became a hit. It was mainly because of timing, but there you have it.

Another problem with what I wrote above: I really like this item. It's a 'wow' type product that just kept getting cooler as the commercial went on. Of course, replacing your regular bulbs with these bulbs, on the off chance there's a power outage, would be expensive and highly impractical ... But then there's the remote-control feature, which is also very cool! Unfortunately, I know from experience that DRTV buyers aren't excited by that idea anymore ... But it becomes a flashlight, too!

You can see why I'm on the fence.