November 16, 2010

Review: Walkie Way

Description: A dog collar with a built-in retractable leash
Main Pitch: "The first ever all-in-one leash and collar"
Main Offer: As low as $19.95
Bonus: LCD safety light, ID holder
Starring: Nikki Moustaki, author and pet trainer
Website: www.WalkieWay.com
Prediction: Unlikely to succeed

Although I see a lot to like here, I'm pretty sure I've seen this type of product before and it has been tested. I just can't remember the details. More important, the price is going to be a problem. The only version of this product that's $19.95 is the extra small. The small is $29.95, and the medium is $39.95. That means the consumer's answer to my biggest question about this campaign -- Is a quick leash needed enough to buy on impulse? -- will most likely be a "no."

Also, I question whether the spot does a good enough job of engaging people. It takes a long time to get to what I think is the main problem/solution here: "controlling your dog" quickly and no longer "fumbling to get a leash attached." The opening VO touches on this idea, but the visual doesn't reinforce it or make it clear. And the secondary problem in the opening -- "searching for a leash when it's time for your dog to go" -- doesn't seem like it would be a common problem for most people.