November 16, 2010

Review: My T Driver

Description: A screwdriver with super-torque
Main Pitch: "Allows anyone to drive screws effortlessly into virtually any surface"
Main Offer: $19.95 for one
Bonus: Belt pack (just pay P&H)
Starring: Bart Baldwin
Producer: Meltzer Media
Marketer: Harvest Direct
Website: www.MyTDriver.com
Prediction: Unlikely to succeed

This campaign meets most of my criteria. The product is different and solves a problem, and the creative is well done. So why the negative prediction? It's the category. With the exception of Bit Shooter, which had a ridiculous premium (a free power drill), I can't think of a successful short-form campaign for a tool of this kind. I think that's because at retail, there are so many varieties of screwdriver available.

I also think it's tough to find success with an item that downgrades from power to manual. This hasn't worked well in other categories (e.g. Kitchen King Pro, a manual food processor, never caught on), and I don't think it will work well in this category.