January 27, 2015

Veggetti Pro

Description: A vegetable slicer
Main Pitch: "The fast, easy way to turn veggies into delicious healthy spaghetti"
Main Offer: $19.99 for one with thin & thick Spiral Blade, recipe guide
Bonus: Ribbon Slicing Blade (just pay P&H)
Marketer: Ontel
Watch the spot

Emson beat Ontel to market with this idea by almost a full year, but they may have been too early. Their version was called the Big Boss Slice-A-Roo. Back then, I thought the product was a great idea for a Veggetti deluxe. I suppose it also makes sense for "pro" strategy, which is what this literally is.

Since I haven't heard anything further about the Emson item, and since Veggetti has clearly won its duel with Skinny Gourmet, Ontel could have this one all to itself. But will it succeed? The higher price point, larger size and greater complexity of the item vs. the original give me cause for doubt.

S7 Analysis: In my original review of Veggetti, I gave the project 2 out of 5 stars. The main reason: I think the veggie spaghetti pitch is not targeted to the mass market. And despite winning it duel and appearing on store shelves (e.g. at Wal-Mart), Veggetti did not make my mid-year True Top Spenders of 2014 list, which may be an indication I was on to something. On the other hand, the buying group is clearly a lot larger than I thought. This test will be a good confirmation either way.