April 25, 2011

Review: Chum Chamber

Description: A chum container for fish
Main Pitch: "The 'no wait' bait ... attracts fish like a magnet"
Main Offer: $10 for one plus 12 ChumWow tablets
Bonus: Double the offer (just pay P&H)
Starring: Cactus Jack
Marketer: TV Goods
Website: www.ChumChamber.com
Prediction: Likely to succeed

I'm not a fisherman, and I think fishing is a DRTV category with lower-than-average odds of success these days ... But I would buy this product and I can see it doing well on DRTV. Why? Because when a fishing product does work on DRTV these days, the products tend to be positioned toward 'dabblers and dilettantes' like me.

Two cases in point: The Rocket Fishing Rod and Telebrands' Coleman Fish Pen. No serious angler would buy those products, only people who are inexperienced or who like to try fishing on occassion -- and that's where I think the market is these days. Incidentally, this provides an interesting contrast to another sporting goods niche: golf products. There, it seems technical products geared toward avid golfers are the ones that do well.