February 03, 2014

Pasta Express: Old Gold?

New Name: Pastafina
Current Marketer: SAS Group
Original Hit Year: 2006 (No. 30 on the JW Annual)
Original Marketer: Tristar
Website: www.BuyPastaFina.com
Prediction: On the fence

I liked this product when it came out originally, and I think this revival version hits all the same, correct notes. The magic was always watching the pasta move as it cooks, and the production team has captured that. Tony is also in his element pitching anything Italian, and it shows in the passion he puts into his delivery. Bottom line, I have nothing but positive comments about the commercial and the pitch.

The only question for me is whether this is the kind of item you can bring back. What the product actually does is pretty basic and underwhelming, so the marketer is banking on seven years being long enough for people to have forgotten the item so they'll "fall for" the pitch a second time.

I'm truly 50/50 as to whether that will work.