January 27, 2014

Aqua Stone

Description: A stone humidifier
Main Pitch: "Goes to work instantly, moisturizing the air around you the natural way"
Main Offer: $19.99 for one
Bonus: 2nd one (just pay a separate fee)
Marketer: Telebrands
Website: www.GetAquaStone.com
Prediction: Unlikely to succeed

I like this concept, but at $20 I think credibility becomes a major factor that will get in the way of closing the sale.

I've looked at several non-electric humidifier concepts, and my thinking is always the same: Unless it produces visible fog, people are going to be skeptical. It's a version of the "selling the invisible" problem we've seen with bed-bug killers and the like.

Sometimes, when the technology is new and unique, you can get away with it. Sharper Image's Ionic Breeze (before the consumer reviews caught up to it) and Riddex come to mind. But when the technology is familiar and well understood, I think the challenge is too great.