November 05, 2012

Uncle Freddy's Leather Wonder

Description: A leather restorer
Main Pitch: "Makes old leather look new again"
Main Offer: $19.99 for a bottle and applicator
Bonus: Double the offer (just pay P&H)
Starring: The ubiquitous Marc Gill
Marketer: Ontel
Website: www.BuyUncleFreddys.com
Prediction: On the fence

I'm honestly not sure where I stand on this product. My gut says the popularity of leather has declined significantly in recent decades, but I have no data to back that up. It just seems a lot less common than in, say, the 1970s and 1980s. Less leather means less need for a restorative product, so this product may end up being a niche item ...

Or I may be totally wrong. There is no recent track record on DRTV for this category, so perhaps it is an opportunity in waiting.

As for the commercial, I felt all of the demos lacked credibility. Even the junkyard and horse ranch demos, which were set up like 'right before your eyes' magic demos, came across as obvious tricks. Like soap and water would have done the same thing. And I think that will hurt sales.