July 05, 2012

Clear Away Tray

Description: A placemat that becomes a tray
Main Pitch: "Magically turns into a sturdy tray the instant you lift it up"
Main Offer: $10 for two in red or classic linen
Bonus: 2 more (just pay a separate fee)
Marketer: Telebrands
Producer: Blue Moon Studios
Website: www.ClearAwayTray.com
Prediction: Likely to succeed

At first blush, this item isn't very interesting. The demo is pretty basic and not very magical. The product just sort of sits there. (It's always hard to pitch mundane, everyday items like mats.)

However, the creative sold me. Kudos to Blue Moon. They thought of so many nifty uses for this thing, I found myself moving from "unlikely to succeed" at the start of the spot to "on the fence" to "sold!" by the time the spot was finished.

I suspect this is just the sort of thing moms would buy, and Blue Moon has always had a knack for appealing to that market segment (I am thinking of Wonder File, No. 39 on my True Top 50 for 2011, for example).

I could very well be wrong about this one, but my gut is telling me it will work.