February 22, 2012

Review: Wonder Ware

Description: Food storage containers
Main Pitch: "No worries, no spills, no mess, no ruined food"
Main Offer: $14.99 for a 3-piece set
Bonus: Second set of three (just pay a separate fee)
Marketer: Telebrands
Website: www.GetWonderWare.com
Prediction: Likely to succeed

At first glance, this seemed like just another food storage container. But when I paid attention, I realized the positioning is different than what we've seen before. The key pitch here isn't locking in freshness (yawn). It's the convenience of being able to take this thing out of the refrigerator and put it right into the microwave, all while the lid remains on. That's a great promise. Add to that the carry handle and the locking tabs (solid secondary features), and I think there might be enough here to get people off the couch.

My only quibble is with the creative. It takes a while to get to what I think is the key selling point here (microwaveability), and it doesn't address a nagging concern we all have when we microwave plastic: That chemicals are leeching into our food. On the other hand, I thought there were some great demos in this spot. I especially liked rolling spaghetti down the stairs, and using the product as a soccer ball. Clever!