December 10, 2011

Weekly Round-Up


Better Pet Blanket

I'm going to use this feature to do some housekeeping this week. Oftentimes, projects fail and are taken down so quickly, the Web addresses are "dead links" by the time I get around to them. At that point, predictions are unncessary and the only reason to blog about the project at all is what I call, 'posting for posterity.'

It happens all the time. We see an item and think, "I could swear someone tested this, but I can't remember who or when!" So I think it's important to record every item that tests on DRTV, even these 'fast failures,' in order to save marketers (including myself) from repeating the mistakes of the past.

And to show that this feature isn't about embarassing anyone, I'll lead with one of my own recent attempts ...

  1. Better Pet Blanket. Starring: Art Edmonds. Marketer: Allstar/Media Corp. Producer: Producers Direct. Pitch: "Repels liquids and stains" and "prevents odor-causing bacteria, fungus, mold and mildew." Comments: Written by yours truly. Hey, they can't all be winners! [a]
     
  2. Firenze Bag. Marketer: Allstar. Pitch: "The bag you'll always grab when you're on the go." Comments: This one is important to note because bags on DRTV have had to be pretty special (e.g. Buxton Bag) to be successful. [a]
     
  3. Leg Glo. Marketer: Telebrands. Pitch: "Rejuvenates even the dullest, dry skin." Comments: If Guthy-Renker couldn't make leg beauty work (see No. 11), it is unlikely anyone else can. [a]