October 13, 2010

Review: Secret Glo

Description: A self-tanning glove
Main Pitch: "Gives you a gorgeous, even tan any time you want"
Main Offer: $10 for four gloves
Bonus: Four more (just pay separate P&H)
Marketer: HSM IdeaTV Corp.
Producer: Blue Moon Studios
Website: www.BuySecretGlo.com
Prediction: Unlikely to succeed

As someone who helped launch IdeaVillage's Salon Bronze (No. 30 on the Jordan Whitney Annual for 2005), I know a lot about the strengths and weaknesses of this category in short form. In fact, I need to recuse myself from commenting on this one, for the most part.

I will share this: Having forgotten, I asked a sunless tanning expert I know (HT: Ellen L.) about the seasonality of the category. She reminded me that "the season is March through September with April through July being the sweet spot." In other words, my prediction is based on the fact this is launching too late to maximize potential sales.