September 19, 2007

90 Days Later: Looking Back at June

I haven’t written this feature in a while, so I’m going to catch up by covering the entire month of June. In that month, I reviewed some 14 items of note. Only one of them ever popped up on the charts, and it disappeared a month later.

That item is the GRILL DADDY, a BBQ grill cleaning tool (www.GetGrillDaddy.com) that squirts water. It appears on the IMS chart, but does not appear on the Jordan Whitney.

Of the remaining items, I thought two were going to be hits. Neither one made it. They are:

  • SPIN N' SPARKLE (www.SpinNSparkle.com), a cordless jewelry cleaning brush that comes with a spray-on cleaning solution. I loved everything about this product (except the URL), but it is nowhere to be found.
  • NAILS AR NEW (www.NailsRNew.com), a nail polish repair formula. I thought the item met all of the criteria. “It solves a real problem,” I wrote. “Women pay big bucks to have their nails done, only to ruin them a day later.” But again, it’s nowhere to be found.

And here are the remaining items that didn’t make it:

  • GRABIT, a two-sided drill bit that removes damaged screws and bolts. I thought it was a “tough sale on DRTV” since “damaged screw removers are available at retail for lower prices.”
  • HEALTHY TAP (www.HealthyTap.net), a small filter bag that improves the taste and quality of a gallon of tap water. I thought the product had “a major credibility problem.”
  • LE SPA (www.LeSpa.tv), a spinning shower brush integrated with a European-style shower head. “Handheld shower heads are common in Europe, but much less common in the United States,” I wrote. “That means the market for this product is limited.”
  • PLATINUM HAND MAGIC (www.14.HandMagic.com), an anti-aging hand cream. I admitted that I had “no idea how big the problem perception” was for the item but thought the focus was too narrow.
  • TOPSY TURVY (www.HangingTomato.com), a hanging tomato planter that grows tomatoes upside-down. I felt it was a “cool item” but also a “niche item.” Even in season, it didn’t appear on the lists.
  • MAGIC CARRY (www.MagicCarry.com), a harness system for moving heavy objects, pitched by Billy Mays. As with the Forearm Forklifts, I thought the item lacked credibility. “I don't think people (especially the older, more fragile DRTV buyer) will believe that a system of straps will allow them to lift two or three times what they can lift normally,” I wrote.
  • FRESHINI PRO-STICK, a cordless kitchen power tool with multiple attachments. I thought it was a “long shot” because “there are a many superior products on the market that perform [the] same functions.”
  • MICRO-GRILL (www.MicroGrill.com), a Foreman-style grill that goes in the microwave. “Millions of DRTV buyers own and love the Foreman grill,” I wrote. “I don't think they're sitting around wishing they had a faster version of it.”
  • LITTER LOCKER (www.BuyLitterLocker.com), a cat litter disposal system that looks like a diaper disposal. I thought it was a tough sell because it “only appeals to cat owners,” and they probably already have “a solution to the ‘smelly litter box’ problem.”
  • LATIN CARDIO (www.LatinCardio.tv), a workout routine that combines Latin dance moves with a cardio workout routine. I thought it “could be a smoker, since Latin dance moves are more popular than Hip Hop dance moves,” and Hip Hop Abs was a hit. But I added that “short-form is the wrong form.”
  • KINOKI (www.BuyKinoki.com), Japanese foot pads that are supposed to draw harmful toxins out of your body as you sleep. I felt it was “just not credible” and wrong for the American mass market.