February 25, 2015

Colorama

Description: A coloring book ... for adults
Main Pitch: "Create something wonderful and relax"
Main Offer: $12.99 for one plus the Pocket Companion
Bonus: 51-piece color kit (just pay a separate fee)
Marketer: Telebrands
Watch it on iSpot.tv

File this one under: "What the heck were they thinking?!" I feel sorry for the producer: It can't be fun to be trapped between a rock (saying no to a valued client) and a hard place (trying to sell a coloring book to adults). But sometimes the only correct response is: "This cannot, and moreover should not, be done."

Doubt me? Here's a direct quote from a testimonial in the commercial: "I look forward to jumping into bed with the Colorama book and just melt[ing] away." The folks at SNL could not have done better. That's laugh-out-loud funny!

S7 Analysis: Needless to say, this will now be my No. 1 example of a project that fails the targeted criterion.

7 comments:

  1. Oddly- I'd love this. I think there are lots of crafty adults who like to color and those designs are great.

    It will never be more than a niche product though, direct marketing is a terrible strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is a big need for this in the MarketPlace Genius!
    think about what seniors are doing all day crosswords and coloring and watching TV.. and there is a continuity to this product also. I would not be totally surprised if this is a Solid Campaign..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for calling me a "MarketPlace Genius." I appreciate the compliment. And from that lofty height, I will disagree with you. Crosswords and coloring books do not belong in the same sentence. Seniors do crosswords and watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! to keep their minds active and stay sharp. Coloring is for kids because ... they have the minds of kids.

      Delete
    2. when they are too old to crossword they color.. I got to stores like Michaels just to find things to keep my granny busy.

      Delete
  3. Your forgetting about the "snuggie" effect where people buy things as joke for other people…...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't forget. I just wouldn't bet my money on the "Snuggie effect." Would you? If so, I have a lot of great items for you!

      Delete
  4. Found this page because I had the same reaction as Jordan -- I had to look online to see if anyone was commenting on these things, because I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. This looks like a product from 1962 - WTF? And also, as to targeting, the people in the ad are not seniors or aged - they look mostly to be middle-aged. I mean, c'mon!

    ReplyDelete