July 27, 2010

ERA Awards Change Name, Approach

The ERA just announced that it has renamed its annual awards the "ERA Moxie Awards" and that, for the first time, it will feature a "People's Choice Category."

New this year, YOU get to decide who has the best short form AND long form infomercials of the year. Between now and August 6, vote for your favorite in the People's Choice Category.

What a novel idea. At the risk of sounding egocentric, I wonder if it has anything to do with my criticism of last year's nominees and subsequent praise of the DRMA event? I certainly wasn't alone in my thinking.

So why "Moxie Awards"? According to the ERA release:

The word “moxie” suggests energy, initiative, determination, skill and the ability to face challenges with spirit and courage—all characteristics that embody the DR marketing industry.

For you Mainers out there, it's also a popular brand of soft drink, which I happen to like and from which the word derives.

On a side note, both the soft drink and the term are antiquated. Appropriate? I report; you decide.