October 15, 2015

Rocket Copters

Description: A flying toy
Main Pitch: "Super-bright, light up the night helicopters"
Main Offer: $14.99 for six copters and launchers
Bonus: None
Brand: Wham-O
Marketer: IdeaVillage
Watch the spot

I'm familiar with this product -- my kids and I have played with it before -- so my major concern here is informed by that experience. Namely, this is a dollar-store quality toy being marketed like an Air Hogs quality toy. That's not to say six for $15 is a bad deal, it's just that the expectations created by the advertising are unlikely to be met.

That said, this has a lot of other things going for it. In fact, the two places I have seen and purchased it were on the street from live-demonstration vendors (aka the ideal place to find visually interesting products). Kids, and adults in touch with their inner kid like me, were easily mesmerized by how high it goes and its spinning lights. If that translates well to TV -- and the commercial does a solid job of trying -- this one could do well.

S7 Analysis: As with all kid items, the S7 doesn't really apply. But this certainly meets the "wow" and "play value" criteria and, based on my focus group of two children, certainly has "pester power" working in its favor.