September 03, 2015

Cool Bra

Description: A cooling bra
Main Pitch: "Breathable, cooling fabric ... helps keep you fresh no matter what"
Main Offer: $14.95 for one in nude
Bonus: 2nd one in black (just pay P&H)
Brand: Genie
Marketer: Tristar
Watch the spot

I don't know much about this issue, but I suspect the target is mainly menopausal women. Some of the language and visuals (standing in front of an air conditioner with an open shirt) suggest it. If I'm right, this is unlikely to succeed on TV -- although it could be a solid addition to the Genie line at retail.

Menopause sufferers are a classic segment of a segment. The segmenting looks something like this: All Americans > women > within a narrow age range > of the type that experience strong symptoms. That's too small of a target for our shotgun approach.

Of course, it's quite possible many non-menopausal women struggle with this issue, and I'm wrong. I don't know anything about that and, frankly, I don't want to know.

S7 Analysis: I've already mentioned the key S7 concern. The other one is the category, which was already crowded when the Genie bra was introduced and has only gotten more crowded (in large part thanks to Tristar) since then. If you'll pardon the pun, the saturation point must be near.