December 04, 2014

Clever Light

Description: An emergency light
Main Pitch: "The light that goes on when the power goes off"
Main Offer: $14.95 for one
Bonus: 2nd one (just pay P&H)
Brand: Bell + Howell
Marketer: Emson
Producer: Kerrmercials
Watch the spot

This project bears many similarities to my Ever Light project from December 2013. (One reason: I inadvertently plagiarized the main pitch, also recycled here, from a February 2013 commercial. I recently discovered that spot was also done by Kerrmercials.) The similarities mean this project is unlikely to succeed. That is: Ours wasn't close, and it is unlikely that demand for such a solution has radically changed in one year.

S7 Analysis: I obviously believed this item met all of the S7 criteria back when I pursued it. Like many, I was (repeatedly) seduced by this Siren category following the success of Olde Brooklyn Lantern. Looking back, my best guess is that this particular solution -- and the many others storm lights and lanterns that were tried -- is not different enough from what's already on the market to succeed. It's a high bar that Telebrands hit with its 'vintage' pitch, and even they were never able hit that bar again.

(See here for the full history of failed lanterns following OBL.)

No comments:

Post a Comment