June 29, 2011

Review: Razor Rx

Description: A device that cleans and hones razors
Main Pitch: "Get more than 150 smooth, clean, comfortable shaves from every blade"
Main Offer: $9.99 for one
Bonus: Rx micro-trimmer (just pay P&H)
Marketer: Product Strategies
Producer: PBandJ Partners
Website: www.RazorRx.com
Prediction: On the Fence

First, the good news. According to a recent email I received from PBandJ, this campaign was "selected from over 6000 entries by The International Academy of Visual Arts to receive a 2011 Communicator Award." Congratulations to Peter Aronow and team.

Moving on, for years I believed the high cost of razors was a major issue for America. I had good reason: A main pitch for Titanium Turbo, an inexpensive electric razor I helped launch, was that it saved you money on razors. That item was a TV success, reaching No. 13 on the Jordan Whitney in 2005. I also observed the apparent success of Infinity Razor in 2007 and Save-A-Blade in 2008.

But today, after understanding the category better and what happened with those earlier "successes" -- as well as failing with another razor-saving idea and observing the failure of similar ideas -- I no longer believe America cares enough about the price of razors to sustain a campaign. Maybe the "Great Recession" has changed that, but I'm doubtful.

That said, this product has a lot going for it, including a low-risk price, so perhaps people will buy it to try it. The copy of MicroTouch as a bonus won't hurt, either.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I was given your blog via a friend and I really like it!! I've put you on the blog list for my blog now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps -- just perhaps -- the recent failure of these types of products is due to the fact that consumers are wising up to the fact that they DON'T WORK. I realize that "Actually Does What it Says it Does" has no place in your ratings criteria, but for some of us it matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The main cause of dull blades is microscopic RUST not "whiskers". Here is a tip. After use and rinsing your blade, place it in a small cup of baby oil. The oil separates the water from the blade. My blades now last at least 3x longer. the "glide pad" will disintegrate from the oil but it isn't really needed anyway.

    ReplyDelete