November 18, 2010

Review: Swivel Store

Description: A swiveling spice rack
Main Pitch: "Conveniently keeps all your spices in less than four inches of space"
Main Offer: $19.99 for one
Bonus: 2nd one (just pay P&H)
Marketer: Allstar & Merchant Media
Producer: Blue Moon Studios
Website: www.BuySwivelStore.com
Prediction: Unlikely to succeed

If I didn't know the history of this category, I would probably declare this campaign "likely to succeed." After all, the product meets my criteria and the commercial is, of course, solid. It's the category that's the killer for me.

In its broadest sense, the category is "organization." We know some organizational items always do well on DRTV. Closet organizers are one. Shoe organizers are another. But in the kitchen, it's a different story. With the exception of Smart Spin, I can't think of an item that has been successful. (And half the story with Smart Spin was the huge value: The current offer is 98 pieces for $19.99!)

In many ways, I think the market for organizational items is like the market for "germaphobe" items or "green" items. There are millions of people out there who are passionate about killing germs, saving the planet or organizing their cabinets and drawers. But using national DRTV media to reach them is like using a shotgun to hit a fly. It's just not efficient.

Put another way, I believe the mass market is closer to the Oscar Madison end of the spectrum than the Felix Ungar end, and that this sort of product will only get the Ungars of the world excited enough to buy on impulse. (Under 30? Click here now.) That's my theory, anyway. It's quite possible that when it comes to using spices, the activity is so common that organization is a pressing concern. In other words, spices could be like shoes or closets. I guess we'll find out.

On a side note, this commercial gave me a new DRTV catch-phrase to add to my collection:

"Turns any cluttered mess into an organized success."

It's a great line I've heard enough times now to declare a keeper!