August 09, 2007

New Format, New Challenge

This week’s New Items report will be my first report to feature reviews of select commercials based on my 10 “Tried-and-True” (T&T) DRTV techniques. This will be in addition to my usual product reviews, which are based on my seven criteria for identifying hit DRTV products, or what I call "the Divine Seven” (D7).

These scores represent an ongoing experiment of mine – an attempt to prove there’s a formula for DRTV success. We all have our pet theories. My goal is to validate mine, or be forced to revise them, based on real-world examples. So going forward, you will see both a Product (D7) Score and a Commercial (T&T) Score on select items. For the rest of the items (including my own projects), I’ll simply report the facts so that these archives remain complete and can be used as a resource in the future.

I’ll also continue checking the IMS and Jordan Whitney lists weekly to see what items are on the charts 90 days after launch (enough time to ensure they’re genuine hits) and reporting on what I wrote about them when they first aired. In other words, this will be a very public way of finding out whether I know what I’m talking about!