Time is running out to sign up for my "What Every DRTV Professional Should Know" seminar at the 2015 ERA D2C Convention, which takes place Monday, October 5 between 1 and 4 pm. You know you want to go, so I'll wait while you visit the page for the event ...
All signed up? Great. Still not convinced you should attend? I get it. Either way, take my third and final quiz below to see where you stand:
- According to hit lists from the last several years, what is the No. 1 category for DRTV products?
- Name two appropriate uses for a 'split screen.'
- What famous advertising concept, introduced in a seminal 1981 book by the same name, describes how to differentiate a product in the mind?
Take a moment to ponder -- or perhaps to sign up for my seminar after all :-) -- and then take a look below to see how you did.
Here are the answers:
- The No. 1 category for DRTV products, by far, is kitchen/cooking. See the end note (1) below for a list of every hit I jotted down during a recent examination of the last five years. I'll go over the other top categories, and the bad categories as well, during the seminar.
- Two appropriate uses for a 'split screen' are comparing (e.g. a side-by-side demonstration) and contrasting (e.g. before and after). During the seminar, we'll explore more than 10 techniques for making DRTV commercials that sell.
- The advertising concept that describes how to differentiate a product in the mind is "positioning." It was introduced in 1981 by Al Ries and Jack Trout in a book titled, "Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind." Mr. Ries has two cameos in my presentations for the seminar (his concepts, that is).
See you in Vegas!
(1) Here's that list of kitchen/cooking hits (in alphabetical order): AeroKnife, Bacon Wave, Bake Pop, Chef Basket, Chop Magic, Dump Cakes, Edge of Glory, Eggies, Miracle Grill Mat/Yoshi Grill & Bake Mat, Orgreenic, Pasta Boat, Perfect Pancake/Flip Jack, Perfect Bacon Bowl, Perfect Brownie, Perfect Meatloaf, Perfect Tortilla, Pop Chef, Potato Express, Samurai Pro, Slap Chop, Slice-O-Matic, Stone Dine, Stone Wave, Stufz, Yoshi Blade, Yoshi Blue.